Bethel Baptist Association
The Bethel Baptist Association was formed on February 5th, 1939 by Rev. Dr. H. W. Brown, former pastor of the historic Bethel Baptist Church, Nassau, Bahamas. The Association’s primary purpose is the building of the Kingdom of God through Christian work, Education, and fellowship through harmonious working relations and the desire to make a profound impact through united Christian witnessing.
At the first session of the Bethel Baptist Association, six (6) churches were registered. During the mid-forties, while Pastor Brown was still the Moderator, the Bethel Baptist Association had an affiliation with the East Coast Baptist Convention of Florida. During one year, a large delegation of Association members attended a meeting in Miami, Florida at Temple Baptist Church where the Rev. S. A. Sampson was the host pastor.
Under the leadership of Rev. Dr. H.W. Brown, the Association grew to approximately 13 churches. After the demise of Rev. Dr. H. W. Brown in 1979, Rev. Leroy Roker took over for two years. After Rev. Roker, Rev. Lewis Pinder took over for just over a year and was called home to his reward. Rev. Dr. John N. T. Rolle took over thereafter from 1986 – 1998. Today under the leadership of Rev. Timothy Stewart, pastor of the historic Bethel Baptist Church, there are some twenty (20) churches scattered throughout four (4) islands of the Bahamas. The churches included in the Association today are: